There are several myths surrounding loan participation agreements. Unfortunately, this has created a mental siege and has prevented people from seeing lenders’ bountiful benefits and risks. This article discusses below some of the loan participation myths and the truth about them.
- You can only get participation interest in mortgage loans from a bank.
Truth: Mortgage lenders can also set up participation agreements with other lenders.
- There is a need for all lenders in the participation agreement to maintain a relationship with the borrower.
Truth: The only Lender that needs to maintain this position is the lead lender.
- On a loan participation agreement, the lead Lender has more risk than gains.
Truth: There are both risks and benefits. You just have to take a well-calculated risk.
- Participation agreements have no alternatives.
Truth: There are several alternatives. Some of which are: Hypothecation Agreement, Loan Sale Agreement, Dual Lenders, etc.
- All participation agreements are the same.
Truth: They are not the same. There is a comprehensive participation agreement that covers several important details. This type is a complex participation transaction agreement system. There’s also a “short-form” agreement that certain lenders prefer because of its brevity and simplicity. Some details to include are participation agreements, etc.
- The borrower has to consent to the loan participation.
Truth: Most times, a borrower does not have the right to consent to participation.
- No securities law issues bind the sale of a fractional loan interest through a participation agreement.
Truth: Different securities law controls the sale of a fractional interest in a loan sale by a lender.
There are more myths and misgivings about loan participation. Click here to find accurate answers to some of these commonplace rumors about loan participation.
About Note Servicing Center
Note Servicing Center provides professional, fully compliant loan servicing for private mortgage investors so they can avoid the aggravation of servicing their own loans and just relax and get paid.
Contact us today for more information.